Lisa Gay Hamilton

For the first time in over a decade, my favorite television shows are NOT on HBO, but on TNT. Sigh. In some ways, I attribute this to the gnawing reality that my days are numbered in the 18-49 demo and watching Vinny Chase defile models has gotten old.

Mostly though, TNT's "Southland" and "Men of a Certain Age" are both solid shows in their own unique ways and are worthy of being tied for first place on my TV favorites list. The first 15 minutes of the season premiere of "Southland" was better than the last four seasons "Law & Order."

Meanwhile, "Men of Certain Age" has quietly crafted one of the most authentic-feeling portrayals of male friendship I've ever seen. I am not quite the age of the characters on the show; but as I watch my friends start families and I make plans for this next phase of adulthood, the show feels familiar. It's not entirely frightened by the idea of aging, but not completely comfortable with the idea either.

However, this post isn't really about TNT, or the shows; it's about Lisa Gay Hamilton.

Hamilton plays Melissa Thoreau, wife of Andre Andre Braugher's Owen Thoreau Jr. character on "Men of a Certain Age." Hamilton playing a suburban mom, in a mostly-white community, while sporting natural hair is a breath of fresh air. How she got away with not letting the producers slap a shiny, synthetic wig on her head is beyond me.

In some ways, it is that natural truth about Hamilton that has made me a fan of her work. She seems like someone I'd be friends with; educated, talented and conscious. Kimberly Elise has the film career I imagine Hamilton would have if more than one black actor of a certain type could be successful at one time.

The show's Thoreau clan is an example of what can be done when writers approach diversity without the notion of exoctism. The Thoreau's along with Brian White's portrayal of salesman Marcus are the most well-rounded African-American characters we've seen in some time. Hamilton's character is often at the center; like women sometimes have to be.

Hamilton, instead of falling into banal wife, or "strong black woman" archetypes, has crafted a too seldom seen version of black femininity. Her character, in a word, is ordinary. How refreshing. She's not magical. She's not nursing her white friends back to health. She's not climbing the corporate ladder. She's just an average woman making it happen for her family in the 'burbs. Hamilton has skillfully breathed life into this character, making it special.

Because of the lack of extreme violence, sex, or perhaps young people, the show, while successful, doesn't get a lot of buzz. Add that to the fact that Hamilton isn't the kind of actor we see all over the blog sites (or on her own show's website for that matter). It could be easy to overlook Lisa Gay Hamilton.

After years of putting in work as an actress and director (Did you catch "Beah: A Woman Speaks?") I just wanted to give her a little shine and point you to a great show you might not be watching.


Phill Boogie

1 comment:

S.KayeGipson said...

I miss Lisa Gay Hamilton too. She rocked the natural when she was on The Practice many moons ago. When I first when natural, I carried her pic to the barber to get that cut..lol. But I'll have to check out Men of a Certain Age. Seems a little like the movie "Wild Hogs"....