love jones

RANDY BANDIT’S TAKE: BARELY PASSING
When I saw Love Jones, I immediately thought two very different things: (1) Man, it’s great seeing young, artistic black people on screen doing their thing, and (2) What in the world is going on with Nina?

The latter question is why I didn’t enjoy the movie. The stuff that she put my boy through was ridiculous, and I can’t think of any intelligent brother who would have gotten back with a sista who went out with his boys to spite him. It just seemed like mess on top of mess, one conflict after the next. And while I know conflict propels plot, the things going on here were just bad decisions stacked on top of bad decisions. That killed it for me.

The soundtrack was hot though, especially Trina Broussard’s cover of “Inside My Love.”


PHILL BOOGIE'S TAKE: PASSING WITH HONORS
There have been plenty 'pretty black people' films - "The Brothers", "The Best Man", "The Wood" etc. To some degree, I think they all were grounded in reality to an extent. I believe "The Best Man" was probably the best of that bunch. "The Best Man" though, was still a commercial flick, with commercial ambitions. Taye didn't really embody the spirit of a writer. Nia Long's B.E.T. producer character was based on farce. A B.E.T. producer would never be pressed about booking an author on a show. The film was fun, but not timeless. "love jones," even with its now obvious flaws, is.

It was a great love story, but when I look at it now, I wonder Darius and Nina really belonged together। Nina needed some quiet time to get her act together. I imagine that if we could see a sequel, they'd be broken up.


Click pic to hear podcast

No comments: