School Daze


RANDY BANDIT’S TAKE:
PASSING WITH HONORS

The first time I saw the brothers of Gamma Phi Gamma walking across the screen, something in me just thought that was the coolest thing. I have since learned that Spike Lee had intended to portray fraternities in a negative light. Even now when I watch it, I think that the Gammas had more fun.


One thing that did not resonate as much with me, though, was the battle of the complexions. I grew up in a small town in Mississippi, and while we used the word “redbone” (as opposed to Wanna-be), we gave love across the board. I guess that’s because I was transitioning into high school, and a fine girl was, to put it mildly, a fine girl. I was even slightly confused at these monikers because Dean Big Brother Almighty was nearly the same complexion as Dap, and there were a few dark “Wanna-bes.” I took it all to mean that blackness is a state of thinking--which is much too deep of a topic to talk about here. One can hear Nader calling Obama an Uncle Tom or Al-Qaeda calling him a House Negro. What does all of that mean, and just how much have our perceptions of ourselves changed throughout the years? (Note: I am a serious Obama supporter.)


That’s what I think this movie is attempting to do on one level: lay bare these conflicting attitudes. On another level, however, I feel that Spike is illustrating the black community in general, using Mission College as a microcosm.


On a personal note, this movie got me amped about attending an HBCU, and when A Different World starting coming on television, many of the things I enjoyed about School Daze were reinforced on a weekly basis. It’s definitely a must-see film. Whether it’s E.U.’s performance of “Da Butt” or the pledging antics of Gamma Phi Gamma or the desire to divest from South Africa, there’s something for most black people in this film--on one level or another.


Click pic to hear podcast


PHILL BOOGIE’S TAKE: PASSING WITH HONORS
I saw “School Daze” at the Castle movie theater in Irvington, NJ. The Castle was one of those grand movie houses that was built sometime in the 40’s, with a balcony and ornate architecture. By the time I was seeing movies there, it was a dump. A relic. I hated going there, but I didn’t have a car and it was in walking distance.

The only time I enjoyed going to the Castle was when it was a film that other teenagers were going to see. For five bucks, you could see up to four movies. My father talks about going to see Westerns when he was a kid for twenty-five cents and being able to stay all day in the theater. In some ways the Castle wasn’t much different.

There were no rules. You had to practically punch someone to get kicked out. Anything less than that was permissible. You’d go in the afternoon; they never listed the proper times of the movies. You’d just watch whatever they put on, in whatever order and then leave four, or five hours later. I saw “Disorderlies,” “House Party,” several “Nightmare on Elm Street” and one of my favorites, “School Daze.”

Usually when I wanted to actually hear a movie, I’d go to another movie theater, but I knew “School Daze” was going to be an event. As dirty as the Castle was, I couldn’t imagine seeing the film anywhere else.

The film came out in an era when kids were conscious and concerned about issues regarding race and politics. Even still, I don’t think I was aware of how much the film would address serious topics. Sitting in the theater watching the film, as it examined Apartheid, hazing, skin color issues etc.; I was stunned by the audience response.

In one instance, Laurence Fishburne’s character is in his dorm room with his girlfriend, a dark-skinned woman. The whole movie, at this point, has been addressing the ridiculousness of dark skin/light skin obsession in the black community. As Laurence begins to kiss this woman, in his dimly lit dorm room, someone yelled, “I can’t even see her black ass!” Half of the theater went to hysterics, yelling more black jokes.

Damn.

I remember think that they were missing the whole point. The rest of the movie, as people shouted dumb things, I kept wanting to say, “you idiot!” The beauty of the moment though, was that I realized how impactful film could be, while still being entertaining.

Granted, I was irritated by the dark skin jokes, but it didn’t stop me from joining in the collective homecoming party that took place when “Da Butt” came on. I wonder if there were any adults in the theater. If so, they had to have been pissed off, as about six hundred kids rose to their feet, doing “Da Butt.”

There’s nothing like teaching undergrads, that makes you feel like a dinosaur. Last week, while discussing an essay by bell hooks, I casually related something in the text to “School Daze.” I immediately noticed the lack of recognition.Yeah, I know “School Daze” was released twenty years ago, but damn, when I was a freshman, I’d seen “Cooley High” and “Sparkle.”I can't teach students at an HBCU, who have not seen “School Daze.” I gave them a good talking to.

We ended up having a discussion about the issues that the film addresses. The conversation was great. They didn't seem to think the light skin/dark skin thing was an issue on campus. Hair is more of an issue. Weave technology has been the great equalizer.My students will know all about G Phi G, Half Pint and Mission College once I’m through. Maybe next semester I’ll have them watch 'House Party.'

No comments: