Lazy Day Movies


Back in the day, before I had 450 channels and hundreds of movies & TV shows to choose from On Demand; I was at the mercy of local TV programmers' movie choices on lazy days.

Oddly, even though there dozens of movies I want to see On Demand, I sometimes have a hard time choosing to watch "Weird Science." However, if I am flipping channels and I catch it on TV, it's on like popcorn.

Just today, my writing day turned into an eating, napping and old movies day. I just finished "Mystic Pizza" on OWN. Now, I'm watching "Philadelphia." Well, I was watching "Philadelphia." Nobody wants to be bummed out on a lazy day.

I decided to turn this day of slumber and relaxation into a blog post. It's not quite the two chapters of my book I intended to kick out today, but it's something.

Some of my favorite lazy day movies over the years:

"Straight Talk"
This movie is Dolly Parton at her best. It's super-cheesy, but I never turn away. Dolly plays a Dr. Phil-type radio host, who (gasp) isn't really a doctor. (Warning: The theme song will live in your brain for at least two days.)

"The First Wives Club"
I saw this flick in the theaters with my buddy Pat Shipp. I don't remember what scene it was, but at one point I threw my hands in the air laughing so hard that I knocked her in the face. The film does not make me laugh anymore, yet, I still watch it if I happen upon it on a Sunday afternoon.

"The Last Dragon"

Why this film? I'm black, male and grew up in the 80's. I actually saw this film twice in a crappy theater on Main Street in Orange, NJ. The air conditioning didn't work, so they had box fans in the aisles. Those were good times. Vanity actually stars in two of my favorite lazy day movies.

"Action Jackson"
Why? See my reasons for "The Last Dragon."


"The Vanishing"
I probably wouldn't even see this film if it were released now, but as something to watch on TV, it hits the spot. Kiefer Sutherland and Jeff Bridges are at their most mediocre, but it works for this film. I like films with people buried alive.

"Zapped"
I love this movie. How could you not love a film with Scott Baio and Willie Aames. This film has a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I didn't see this in the movies. I used to rent any and everything from the local video store...again, on Main Street in Orange, NJ. This was a pre-BlockBuster type of store and the majority of movies in the shop were B-Movies. Back then it took three years before a film went to VHS, so you rented things you hadn't seen before. I haven't seen this on TV in a while and it was only good on cable. There was no point in watching this without the nudity.


Bette Midler

Yeah, I know she's a person, not a movie, but between her good films and the awful Touchstone flicks, she is what Saturdays on the couch are made for. Notable lazy day movies: Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Ruthless People, Beaches, Hocus Pocus, That Old Feeling.


The Color Purple
At this point, anyone with B.E.T. can recite the dialogue from beginning to end. It comes on once a month. I never really choose to watch this. I am usually too far from the remote and since it's familiar, it's like a good bedtime story. I'm usually sleep within twenty minutes.



"Strictly Business"

I thought Joseph C. Phillips was gonna be a star. I think Dennis Haysbert took his spot in the Hollywood universe. This was one of the first, in a long line of mediocre films starring black people, pimping youth culture and hip-hop. It's bad, but I watch it all of the time. My favorite part of this movie...the soundtrack. "You Call & Told Me" was my ish.



"Angel"
Does anyone remember else remember the "Angel" movies? High school, prostitute by night. By the time the bootleg VHS my uncle Dwight owned broke, it was running on television. I haven't seen it on TV is a minute though. That's probably appropriate.


"New Jersey Drive"

This film is horrible and every time I watch it I get annoyed; but sometimes there just isn't anything else on. It has become one of my lazy day favorites by default.

Vivica A. Fox

Like Bette Midler, she has a filmography that's tailor-made for Saturday afternoons. Unlike Bette Midler, she doesn't balance those films out with Oscar contenders. My faves: Motives, Two Can Play That Game, Booty Call, Set it Off, Getting Played, Juwanna Mann.


My all time lazy day, or late night favorite of all time (maybe) is...
Sprung
I can't explain why I love this movie. I've only seen it on TV. I can't remember it being in the theaters. Rusty Cundieff should be a star. Between Tisha, being, well...Tisha and Paula Jai Parker doing her signature chickenhead steez, this film is a late-nite classic. Every other movie ever made ends up in the DVD rack at the check-out stand at Marshalls for $4, but I have never come across Sprung. It really should be in my collection. That said, going back to my earlier point, I probably wouldn't pop in the DVD of any of these. It's much more fun to catch them by surprise.



I could go on, but I think it's time to see what's on TV. What are some of your favorites?

Phill Boogie

No comments: